Drop-In Math Advising for Spring 2024
For the week of January 8th, Math department advisers (except Dr. Hair) will only have drop-in advising. Scheduled advising appointments will start the second week of classes.
Note: Math department advisers cannot override students into full MATH courses. If you’re interested in joining a full class, please contact the course instructor.
Acceptable topics for a drop-in meeting for the first week include:
- Checking that your semester schedule is appropriate
- Checking that your graduation requirements are met
- Questions about prerequisites
- Drop/Add questions
Unacceptable topics for drop-in meetings include:
- Change of major
- Adding a major/minor
- Study Abroad
- 4-year plans
- Anything that will take longer than 15 minutes
When signing up for the drop-in advising queue, please type the name of your Math advisor (or None if you do not have a Math advisor).
If you are signed up for a remote drop-in, when an advisor is ready to see you they will send you an email with a link to their Zoom room. Please check your email regularly while waiting in the queue.
How to Sign Up for Drop-In Advising
You have two options for drop-in advising – remote (Zoom) and in-person (104 McAllister).
To enter the remote drop-in queue, sign up through Starfish by going to https://tinyurl.com/MATH-PSU-Virtual.
To enter the in-person drop-in queue, come to the Math Undergrad Office in 104 McAllister and follow the instructions to sign up using your smartphone.
Math majors should meet with their assigned advisors. Students who are not in the Math major or do not have an assigned Math advisor can meet with any advisor.
First Week Drop-In Advising
Drop-In Advising After the First Week
Starting January 16th, advising appointments will be available in-person and in Zoom. Advising appointments are available for mathematics majors and non-mathematics majors. Students that are not mathematics majors can schedule an appointment to meet with an adviser by going to Starfish (https://sites.psu.edu/starfishinfo/), selecting Services, and searching for "Science - Mathematics Advising (MTHBS, MTHBA)".
- Students with general questions about the mathematics program or courses should schedule an appointment with Dr. Steven Hair.
- Students who are interested in a mathematics major (either change of major or concurrent major) may schedule an appointment with either Dr. Steven Hair or Dr. David Little.
- Students who are interested in a mathematics minor should schedule an appointment with Dr. David Little.
- Current mathematics majors should schedule an appointment with their assigned adviser.
If you have questions about making an appointment with a mathematics adviser, please email the Undergraduate Mathematics Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick questions via email
It may be more convenient for you to send quick questions via email rather than schedule an appointment. Mathematics majors should email advising questions to their assigned academic adviser. Otherwise:
- Questions about the mathematics major should go to Dr. Steven Hair (email@example.com).
- Questions about the mathematics minor should go to Dr. David Little (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Questions about mathematics course content should go to Dr. James Hager (email@example.com).
- Questions about grader and proctor positions or Credit by Exam should go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email questions about other topics (course prerequisites, transfer course evaluations, course equivalencies, independent study, tutoring and learning support) to email@example.com