In order to maintain a diverse community, you must recruit a diverse community. We support several programs and activities to further our mission of building a more diverse and inclusive community at Penn State.
Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
The Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP) is a gateway to graduate education at Big Ten Academic Alliance universities. The goal of the program is to increase the number of underrepresented students who pursue graduate study and research careers. SROP helps prepare undergraduates for graduate study through intensive research experiences with faculty mentors and enrichment activities.
Non-Penn State undergraduate students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Are a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Are enrolled in a degree-granting program at a college or university in the United States, Puerto Rico, or other U.S. territory
- Have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate education by the time of the summer experience
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate education remaining after completing the summer research experience
- Have a strong interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
We see tremendous value in maintaining a presence at a number of prominent national conferences, allowing us to connect with prospective students on a personal level. Visit our booth at one of the following conferences to learn more about the diverse community at the Eberly College of Science:
Penn State STEM Fall Open House
Junior and senior undergraduates from underrepresented communities that have strong academic records and research programs are invited to submit an application for our Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Fall Open House. This program is intended for those interested in applying to graduate programs at the Penn State University Park campus.
Program highlights include:
- Exploring research interests through individual meetings with potential research advisors
- Academic program visits including a session with admission committee chairs
- Information on University resources and the graduate education experience from Penn State faculty, staff, and students
- Tours of campus and the State College community