Skip to main content

Transfer Student FAQ

If you’re considering transferring to Penn State or have already accepted an offer to transfer, here’s what you’ll need to know to take the next steps. 

Who is considered a transfer student?

If you have attempted 18 or more credit hours at another institution after earning your high school diploma or GED, you’re considered a transfer student.


What is required to transfer to Penn State Science at University Park?

You can apply to transfer to University Park once the entrance-to-major (ETM) requirements for your intended major have been fulfilled. If you’ve completed less than two years of course work, you’ll start at one of Penn State’s other campuses and then transition to University Park when you complete the ETM requirements.

Learn more about our transfer requirements


How do I apply to transfer to Penn State Science?

The application process is detailed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

See the full steps to apply


How will my credits earned at another institution transfer to Penn State?

The Penn State Admissions website outlines the transfer credit process. You can also use the Transfer Credit tool to check whether the courses you’ve completed at outside institutions will transfer to Penn State, and how they will count toward your graduation requirements.


I have accepted my offer to transfer to Penn State. What’s next?

Congratulations on your acceptance to Penn State Science! You’ll need to make a reservation to attend Transfer Student Orientation at University Park, where you’ll be introduced to life on campus, in the classroom, and in State College. Plus, you’ll get a chance to meet your academic adviser, schedule your next semester's classes, and get your Penn State id+ Card.

Make a reservation for Transfer Student Orientation