BIOL 498A: Biology of Eco-Health in Tanzania
Travels during the Summer
Prerequisite: BIOL 110 or other life science course
This three-week summer session course is taught entirely in Tanzania during Penn State's first summer session. Students will examine the regional ecology, human-environment interactions, development of zoonotic diseases, and conservation of natural resources. In addition to lectures and discussions, this exceptional opportunity allows students to participate in guided walking and driving safaris, participate in guided field research contributing to long term datasets, and research projects in both pastoral and agricultural ecosystems.
Students will complete course readings and have the opportunity to select a theme which they will investigate for a final paper. The course is limited to 12 participants, allowing instructors to tailor discussions and will include guest lectures by local experts in ecology, conservation, and health, as well as visits to national parks and medical facilities.
For a complete line-by-line budget, visit our budget sheet.
BIOL 498A students are eligible to apply for the following scholarships (among many other financial opportunities), some depending on students' individual circumstances:
- Science Global Experiences Scholarship ($250-$1,000+) from the Office of Science Engagement
- Back to the World Scholarships ($500-$2,000) from the Penn State Office of Global Programs
- Student Engagement Network Grant ($2,000) from the Student Engagement Network
- Schreyer Ambassador Travel Grant (variable amount) for students in the Schreyer Honors College
- Grant-in-Aid Scholarship ($500-$2,000) for students with demonstrable financial need
- Diversity Grant-in-Aid Scholarship ($500-$2,000) for diverse or underrepresented students with demonstrable financial need
- Africa & Latin America Grant-in-Aid ($500-$2,000) from the Penn State Office of Global Program
- Whole World Scholarship ($500-$2,000) for students traveling to non-traditional locations with demonstrable financial need