Skip to main content
Department of Biology

Frequently Asked Questions


For key and swipe issuance, please fill out this form, complete with the supervisor and requestor's signatures, and return to the key custodian in 208 Mueller Lab.

*Huck occupants should return the form to 101 Huck Life Sciences Bldg.

To report an injury, please notify the departmental safety officer within 24 hours of the incident, if possible.

Departmental Safety Officer

Aaron Knight

(814) 863-2154

Paid Employees: You must contact Aaron Knight to set up an appointment to meet ASAP. A first report of injury must be completed with the University's worker's compensation handler.

Students and Volunteers: Please complete the following form and send to the address listed at the top of the form. Also, please notify the department safety officer (Aaron Knight) for recording purposes and possible follow-up. Incident Form

For information on obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver's License, please contact the PA Department of Transportation in Pleasant Gap, PA (814-355-6033). 

Licensing/Notary services are available at Tri-County Tag Service located at 1376 East College Avenue (814-237-2957)

New Hire at Penn State

Your departmental contact person will provide you with the information necessary to enroll in benefits. You will be eligible for benefits provided that you enroll within 31 days of your first day of employment. Enrollment for benefits is done online through WorkLion. Several weeks after you have enrolled, you should receive an insurance card in the mail. If you do not receive this card within four weeks of enrolling, please contact Employee Benefits (814) 865-1473. The monthly cost of your benefits will be automatically deducted from your paycheck, unless you have an adjunct appointment. If you have an adjunct appointment, you will need to pay for your insurance in full at the time your adjunct appointment is processed.


If you own a vehicle, you will need to obtain a parking permit to park on campus. Parking permits for Eberly College of Science employees can be obtained in the Facilities Office, located in 510 Thomas. You will need to have your driver's license, license plate number, and make and model of the vehicle(s) you plan to park on campus. 


All bicycles must be registered. This can be done at any kiosk center located on campus. The closest kiosk is located at the Eisenhower Auditorium.


CATA buses have various routes across campus and the community. On-campus routes (Link and Loop Routes) are free to faculty, staff and students. Community routes require a fare. Additional information about the fees associated with using the CATA bus service and/or bus schedules can be obtained on the CATA bus web site:

There is a post office on campus, located beside the HUB-Robeson Center. You can purchase stamps and mail large parcels there. The main branch of the State College Post Office is located at 237 South Fraser Street. Tax forms for preparing annual tax returns can also be obtained at this location.

If you have a letter or parcel that needs to be express mailed, please check with your departmental contact person for the fastest, most cost-efficient method of mailing.


Individuals are encouraged to obtain calling cards for use in marking personal toll calls from University locations; however, if it is an emergency and you must make a personal toll phone call, you are expected to reimburse the University for the charge incurred.

Your departmental/laboratory supervisor will set guidelines for the use of University phones in your area. Phones may be restricted to local calls only in some departments. Some departments may prohibit long-distance calls within the U.S. or international calls.

To place a phone call on campus with a University phone, you need to dial only the last five digits of the number. Example: If the phone number is 814-863-0000, you need to dial 3-0000. To place a local phone call to a number off campus, dial 8 to obtain an outside line and then the seven-digit number. Example: If the phone number is 814-867-000, you need to dial 8-867-0000. 

The area code for the State College area is 814. You do not need to dial the area code prior to the seven-digit number if the area code is 814.

To place a long-distance phone call off campus to anywhere in Canada or the U.S., you will need to dial 8, 1, the area code and the number. Example: If the phone number is 123-456-7890, you will need to dial 8-1-123-456-7890.

To place international phone calls, you will need to dial 8, and then 011 (the international access code) and the number. Example: If the phone number is 12 12345678, you need to dial 8-011-12-12345678.

EMERGENCY number for Police, Ambulance and Fire is 911 for all on-campus and off-campus locations. When using a University phone on campus, you do not need to dial the "8" before 911.

Sometimes the hardest part of facing life's challenges is knowing where to turn for help. This is what the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at Penn State is for. Please feel free to contact EAP when a life situation regarding work or your personal life affects your well-being. EAP can be reached by contacting 1-800-749-1735. All EAP inquiries are treated with the strictest of confidence. Additional information is available at: